Recipes from the Dominican Republic - Sancocho - Rice, Vegetable
and Meat Stew
Sancocho is the local take on the Spanish stew cocido. Each region has its
own way of making it, but the most spectacular is sancocho prieto, which contains
seven meats. Basic Sancocho is a favourite dish for Sunday dinner.
All the meats are first cooked separately. They are taken out when three-quarters
cooked and then finished with the vegetables and spices so that all the flavours
Traditionally sancocho is served on white rice with the cut-up pumpkin on
the side. Don't forget to set a bottle of Tabasco on the table so that guests
can add it to taste.
Ingredients - serves 18
- 2 kg (4 lb.) chicken
- 1 kg (2 lb.) pork chops
- 500 g (1 lb.) salt pork or Spanish sausage
- 700 g (1 1/2 lb.) goat meat
- 500 g (1 lb.) sausage
- 4 large plantains
- 1 kg (2 lb.) yucca
- 1 kg (2 lb.) malanga (similar to taro root)
- 1 kg (2 lb.) Spanish pumpkin
- 1 kg (2 lb.) sweet potatoes
- 5 ears corn
- 1 kg (2 lb.) white yam
- 6 liters (6 quarts) water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. oregano
- 5 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. soft naranja agria (very sour oranges)
- 2 green bell peppers, quartered
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp. garlic, smashed
- Parsley, to taste
- Cilantro, to taste
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- Garlic, crushed
- Green bell pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato sauce
Preparing the meat
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Remove the skin and excess fat.
- Rub the chicken pieces with the sour orange.
- Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce
and salt. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken and reserve
- Simmer the chicken in water, but do not allow it to get too tender. Drain
and reserve the cooking liquid. Refrigerate the chicken until needed.
- Cook the pork chops and goat meat in the same way.
- Cut the salt pork in 1/2-inch cubes, and lightly fry in hot vegetable
oil until browned.
- Boil in water, but do not overcook. Cook the sausage in the same way.
Reserve the vegetable oil.
Preparing vegetables and finition
- Peel the yucca, plantains, malanga, Spanish pumpkin, sweet potatoes and
white yam. Cut into small pieces. Set aside in salt water to preserve their
- Place the water and salt in a large pot. Add the onions, oregano, bell
pepper, parsley, cilantro, 1/2 Spanish pumpkin, corn, plantains, and malanga.
When tender, add all the other vegetables, meats, and sauces (from cooking
previous meats). Add 2 tbsp. reserved vegetable oil, the sour oranges, vinegar
and garlic. Add more salt to taste.
- Add the remaining Spanish pumpkin when the sancocho is almost finished.
If some vegetables become too tender, take them out and add them back just
- Serve with rice, 1/2 Spanish pumpkin, and Tabasco sauce.
Preparation: 30-40 minutes
Marinade: 2 hours
Cooking time: 2 to 3 hours