Recipes from the Dominican Republic - A Trio of Tomato
This very simple recipe offers 3 textures and 3 different flavours, all
using tomato. Each guest will have three little tasting glasses. For the granita,
it's best to put the glasses into the freezer an hour before serving, and
you could even put the granita into the glasses just before your guests arrive.
Ingredients - serves 4
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into small dice
- 1 small white onion, cut into small dice
- 1 branch tarragon, finely chopped
- 10 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 5 leaves arugula
- 400 ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Divide the tomatoes into three equal portions.
- Combine a third of the tomato with the onion, basil, olive oil, salt
and pepper. Set aside in a cool place.
- In a blender, purée a third of the tomato with the tarragon, salt
and pepper. Place in the freezer and mix gently every hour with a fork to
create the granita.
- Emulsion: At the last minute, in an electric blender mix the remaining
third of the tomatoes with the arugula, balsamic vinegar, milk, salt and
pepper. The mixture should be frothy.
- Divide each of the preparations into 4 small glasses.
- Place the trio on a plate and serve immediately.
A recipe from Olivier Guilmain of Eva Luna in Las
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Freezing time for the granita: 4 hours
Difficulty: Very easy