Recipes from the Dominican Republic - Stuffed Crab with Plantain
and Herbed Tomato
West Indies this recipe is usually made with land crabs, but you can use other
varieties of crab.
- 6 land crabs
- 300 g (10 oz.) crab meat
- 1 small white onion
- 1 tbsp. green onion or chive
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 West Indian chili pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 loaf stale bread
- 150 ml (generous 1/2 cup) milk
- 150 g (5 oz.) bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1 banana leaf
- Herbed Tomato
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté the finely chopped herbs: green onion, chives, thyme and
chili pepper; let everything brown slightly in a dry skillet over low heat.
- In a bowl, soak the bread in the milk; flake the crab meat into the bowl
- Add to the herb mixture, tossing the mixture in the pan with a spatula
over high heat for a few minutes.
- Fill the crab shells with this mixture, sprinkle with bread crumbs and
place in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
- Meanwhile, cook the plantain in its skin in boiling water for about 10
Preparing the herbed tomatoes
- Dice the tomatoes; mix with the herbs.
- Season with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Finishing and presentation
- When the crab is hot and browned on top, remove the plantain from the
- Place a banana leaf on half of each plate
- Peel the plantain, slice it and place a few rounds on the plate beside
- Garnish with the herbed tomato.
A recipe from Olivier Guilmain of Eva Luna in Las
Preparation time: Under 30 minutes
Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
Cooking time: Under 30 minutes
Cost: Reasonable, depending on the market price